Continuing on the theme of living with purity in a sexually charged, saturated and pornified culture, we’re encouraging you with this fourth new year’s resolution to guard your eyes and ultimately your heart by being mindful of sexual content in the movies & T.V you watch.
New Year’s Resolution #4 – Guard Ur Eyes
Sexual references, innuendos, conversation, activity and attitudes all lead to communicating a message to you and your culture that this is normal, acceptable and expected of you (to be sexually active that is). This shouldn’t be a surprise to you but the more you view and see something, the more it becomes commonplace, less shocking and likely that you’ll be desensitized to it at best and at worst, begin to live out the attitudes and behaviours you’re taking in.
Do you disagree? If so, we challenge you to take a quick look at the change of our culture over the last 200 years due in part to mass media and it’s message. Let’s just look at Princess Diaries Julie Andrews from only 50 yrs ago in The Sound of Music, a 16 year old girl gets all embarrassed over a kiss on the lips. Oh my… how times have changed. Have you seen Jersey Shore? Or pretty much any T.V show or most movies targeting teens and young adults these days?
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- Check sites like Screen It or Kids In Mind before hitting the theatre to catch a flick with ur friends
- Be a rebel against Hollywood & don’t watch their trash. It’s basic supply & demand. If they don’t make $ they’ll make different movies that appeal to all.
- Should you care about what you’re watching? Why or why not?
- How does the content of movies and T.V. impact your generation?
- How do you determine what you watch or don’t watch?
Leave your comments below to tell us what you think.
NEED TO CHAT?
We’re not dumb, we understand that it’s a struggle not to conform to people around you and we want you to know that we’re here to help you if you want it. Give us a shout and we’ll connect to chat using Facebook, Skype or the good ol’ phone. Sound good?
Live a Deep Justice lifestyle – view media justly!Tweet