|June 4, 2010|
May Focus on Food & Water
END WATER POVERTY
Without water, life would not exist. It is needed for all life and plays an important role in economic development.
But, nearly one billion people – about one in eight – lack access to clean water. More than twice that many, 2.5 billion people, don’t have access to a toilet. Water is so essential that in 2007 a poll by a medical magazine found that access to clean water and sanitation was the most important medical advancement since 1840.
In developed or Western countries we take access to safe water for granted. But this wasn’t always the case. A little more than 100 years ago, New York, London and Paris were centers of infectious disease. Child death rates were as high then as they are now in much of Sub-Saharan Africa. It was radical change in water access and sanitation in these cities that enabled human health and life to leap forward.
- More than 3.5 million people die each year from water-related disease; 84 percent are children. Nearly all deaths, 98 percent, occur in the developing world.
- Lack of access to clean water and sanitation kills children at a rate equivalent of a jumbo jet crashing every four hours.
- Lack of sanitation is the world’s biggest cause of infection.
- Millions of women and children spend several hours each day collecting water from distant, often polluted sources. This is time not spent working at an income-generating job, caring for family members, or attending school.
- 443 million school days are lost each year due to water-related illness.
Isaiah 41:17-18 (NIV)
The poor and needy search for water, but there is none; their tongues are parched with thirst.
But I the LORD will answer them; I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them. I will make rivers flow on barren heights, and springs within the valleys. I will turn the desert into pools of water,
and the parched ground into springs.
God you have said that you will answer the need of those who are thirsty. God I remind you of your promise and I ask that you will provide clean water and sanitation for those who are in need. Let the dessert be full of streams of life giving water. Cause humans to act to bring about justice. If I can be part of the plan, please show me how.
Let the life of all humans be free from need. Amen
Also – use this prayer guide from Living Water International
See May’s full justice post with all the details here
Drop by next Friday for another post with actions you can take & prayer suggestionsTweet