Christmas 2009 is just around the corner and so is Black Friday. What is Black Friday you might ask? That’s a great question!
Black Friday is the largest shopping day in the U.S.A.! It’s the first Friday after the American Thanksgiving holiday and is considered to be the start of the holiday shopping period. Retailers have huge discounts and open as early as 12am to a line up of customers waiting to snap up crazy cheap deals. This however can cause problems. In past years, people have been trampled and shot, all in the name of a ‘good deal.’ Pretty sad don’t you think? Have we become so obsessed with ‘stuff’ that we’re ready to trample someone?
Buy Nothing Day is a response to our lust for buying stuff (also known as consumerism). It started in Vancouver in 1992 and has expanded to other countries around the world. The ideas is that we decide to not buy anything at all on that day. Not a drink as the sev or fries at the cafeteria. You can do this… we believe in you. Break old habits and start new ones this year. Don’t buy anything this Friday! Together we can send a message!
If you’ve just gotta shop and are gonna go shopping for a killer deal on video games or get the latest Blue ray dvd release, at least be sure to wear your kevlar vest and be ready to crowd surf in order to not get trampled! Don’t say we didn’t warn you!
- Can you go one day without buying ANYTHING? Why or why not?
- Should we be concerned about what we buy and how much we buy?
- What can you and I do to slow down consumerism?
- What HAVE you done to consume less in your life?
- What WILL you do to consume less on Nov 27, 2009? Christmas 2009? in 2010?
- If you haven’t watched The Story of Stuff, do it. Come back and tell us what you thought about it.
Watch The Story of Stuff